Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Bits of Our Weekend: Labor Day Weekend

This was probably our last weekend in Pennsylvania for a while. My brother was supposed to start classes this week, so the car stayed in PA and my mom drove us home. I say supposed to because unfortunately, he flipped over the handle bars of his bike yesterday and banged himself up pretty badly. He will be ok, but he's in ICU for the next few days with a lacerated spleen and a bruised kidney. Hopefully he will be home this weekend.

On to happier updates ...
 


 
 
We went to my Aunt's wedding on Saturday. It was very informal - it took place on the groom's family's farm. Half the guests had on cowboy boots. Many people wore jeans. It was a lot of fun, particularly for Audrey. I'd met my aunt's now husband a couple times, but had never met any of his family, so I didn't know most of the people there. But the farm had a lot going on, and Audrey had fun running around with my cousin's 7 year old son and another little girl close to her age that she met there. There was a swingset in addition to the tire swing, plus dogs hanging out, a photobooth area with tons of props, and even a swimming pool, although I didn't let Audrey go in - I hadn't brought a bathing suit and besides, it was too cold.
 
 

The outfit she came up with from the photo booth props

 
On Sunday, my family, man-friend and I ate lunch at this little restaurant right over the PA-NJ line. They specialize in greek food and hamburgers. Random, but my chicken gyro was delicious. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but it took longer than everyone else's food so I just dug in.

 


Sunday evening I made these amazing Chicken Enchiladas. I followed this recipe pretty much exactly. I had been craving Mexican food for a while for some reason. I really wanted guacamole but I already had enough to do in the kitchen. I've made these enchiladas a few times now, but this was the first time I had made them in a while. They're a bit labor intensive, and the recipe makes enough to feed a family, so there's no point in making them for just Audrey and I. We'd eat leftovers all week.

 
 
Despite her face, she was having fun. My child has inherited my Bitchy Resting Face Syndrome.

Between lunch and dinner Sunday, we hung around outside. It was gorgeous out. Audrey played with that big pink ball and we took silly pictures.


On Monday, I helped my little brother with his Algebra homework for a bit, and then we went home. Other than my brother's accident, it was a good weekend. Audrey starts gymnastics next weekend, but otherwise our next few weekends will be low key (inexpensive!) weekends home in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment