Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Summer Plans

There are some things I would like to do/accomplish this summer, so I wasn't sure whether to call these goals, plans or both. Let's stick with plans. It sounds more promising than goals, doesn't it? Goals are something one hopes to achieve. Plans are more concrete, something that is likely to happen (because everyone knows nothing is ever definite).

1. Try new local places. I've lived in my neighborhood for 4+ years now and there are many restaurants I've never tried. I don't have a big budget for eating out, but when I do go out to eat, my new plan is to keep trying new places, especially around my neighborhood. A few local ones I'd like to try: The Grey Dog, Scarpetta, Ovest Pizzoteca, Tipsy Parson, The Half King. I'd also like to explore more of our city in general - I'd like to take Audrey to some new parks this summer. I also plan to do some outdoor movies. At Hudson River Park, family movies play every Friday beginning July 11th, and at the South Street Seaport, movies have already begun every Wednesday and Saturday. All free! Also, while I've been to many museums in New York, Audrey has only done a couple of the Children's museums. I think she's old enough to enjoy the Museum of Natural History, so I think we will try that soon.

2. Beach trip. Audrey is off preschool for two weeks in August, so I plan on taking a couple days off myself and heading to the beach. I'm hoping to make it an overnight trip to New Jersey - Wildwood or somewhere near there. We can also take the Seastreak to Sandy Hook for day trips on the weekends throughout the summer. My child loves the beach, so we will definitely be doing at least a couple beach days throughout the summer.

3. Finish the Game of Thrones books (well, the 5 currently published anyway) and knock off some of the other books on my reading list including: All the Light We Cannot See, The Silkworm, The Snow Queen, Middlemarch, The Book of Life, Half of a Yellow Sun and Where'd You Go, Bernadette. I do read pretty quickly, but I doubt I'll finish ALL of these by the end of the summer. There's always something to read next though, the list is never ending. Call me a nerd, I love books.

4. Add more exercise and veggies into our day. Overall, we both love vegetables. I eat a salad for lunch most days, and I try to include a side of veggies with Audrey's lunch. I want to make dinner more vegetable-heavy though, and come up with (either by my own creation or browsing pinterest) some new recipes, like the veggie sandwich I had the other day. Also, we walk a lot on the weekends, but during the week I'd like to start going for walks either right after work/preschool or after dinner. The Highline is so close, providing a great place to walk. I also thought about doing some yoga at home - nothing advanced, stuff Audrey can have fun doing with me. I hope to incorporate exercise into her life from an early age - and I don't mean going to the gym, just being active and enjoying it. And to be vain for a minute - of course I'd love to lose weight/gain muscle/look hot in a bikini ;)

5. Write, write, write. I want to keep up with this blog, whether anyone ever reads it or not. I only want to stop writing when I feel I have nothing to share. I want to write outside of this space, also. Sticking with the working towards my future goals theme, I also want to look into MBA programs. I currently take business classes, but they are pointless (well, other than allowing me to defer my student loans). I need to stop wasting my time - either drop the classes entirely or figure out an MBA program that works for me.

There are more mundane things I NEED to do this summer - involving doctor appointments, court dealings, etc., but doctors appointments are boring, and the court dealings are for a whole separate post.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment