Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Single Mom in Manhattan Part Deux

 

Old picture. Her father is responsible for this one, but it makes me laugh.

A huge part of living in Manhattan is figuring out how to make it work financially. Even without a child in the picture, it's expensive. While I won't share my exact income, I though I would give an overview of how I cover everything.

My own income is enough to cover all our normal expenses - rent, food, utilities - plus about half of the monthly childcare expense. Audrey's father is obligated to pay a base weekly child support payment and 38% of the childcare expense, but unfortunately, that's not something I can count on. I won't share exactly how much he should be paying, but he has a substantial amount of arrears. This often leads to me falling back on savings and a credit card to cover the remainder of the childcare payment. I am not on any sort of government assistance and my income is not increased by any way I did not earn (i.e., help from family). My brother, as I mentioned, lives with me. Initially, he just babysat in exchange for housing, but as his availability declined, we agreed upon a small rent payment.

Like I mentioned, my apartment is rent stabilized. This isn't anything that requires special qualifications - it isn't income based, it's basically luck based. My other expenses, electricity, cable, internet, cell phone, a couple credit cards, total less than $500. I have thought about getting rid of my cable lately, and just switching to internet/streaming services such as Netflix & Hulu. It would probably chop about $100 a month off my expenses. I had always kept cable as a "splurge," because as a single mom with a small child, I didn't do a lot socially. But now that Audrey is getting older and we spend a lot more time out and about, it doesn't seem as necessary.

I'd like to pay off the credit cards and get rid of them as soon as possible. I do have two that I use, and unfortunately, carry a balance on. I try to only use them for emergencies, but unfortunately that's been more often than I'd like lately.

I don't eat out often, I don't go out drinking (not because I am opposed to drinking ... give me a bottle of wine any day), I don't spend a lot on clothes. I maintain a budget and keep track of all my expenses. I am trying very hard to get that arrears balance my ex has built up paid so I can have some breathing room again. Audrey has eleven more months of preschool, one month of which is already paid (last month tuition/deposit that I paid when she started). When she finishes in June of 2015, and starts Kindergarten in September of 2015, my childcare expenses will drop dramatically, which should also make things a lot easier.

Until then, our adventures around Manhattan will usually be free or cheap. There will be no fancy vacations or clothes, and I'll continue to keep a tight budget, but I like our life here, so it isn't worth leaving to me. Sure, I could move back out to Pennsylvania, but I would have to find a job with a drastic paycut, or commute 1.5+ hours each way to continue to work in the city. Not worth it to me. Any other area commuting distance to Manhattan, but safe enough for a child, isn't any cheaper, thanks to my rent stabilized apartment. So, we are here for the long haul, Mannahatta.

No comments:

Post a Comment