Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Comic Relief

Whenever I've had a bad day and need a good laugh, (or even when I've had a good day but still want to laugh) I have a handful of websites that don't disappoint.

Hyperbole and a Half: Allie Brosh's hilarious stories, mostly about her own life, accompanied by so-bad-they're-good drawings. They're all awesome, but "This is Why I'll Never Be an Adult" is probably one of the most well known. Unfortunately, Allie doesn't update frequently, but the content is funny enough to read multiple times. She also released a book last year: Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened.



The Oatmeal: Another website of comics, created by Matthew Inman. This one is updated pretty frequently. The topics vary - observations, stories, even educational stuff presented in a funny way. One of my favorites: the Minor Differences series. He has several books out: How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You, The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances, and a few others.



The Bloggess: Jenny Lawson's blog, comprised mostly of funny stories from her life. One of my favorites is an old one, but the first time I read it I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes: "And that’s why you should learn to pick your battles." Jenny also has a hilarious book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened.



Tumblr Post Compilations: Not any specific site, the link is just an example. For some reason some of these are ridiculously funny.


Pinterest: Browsing the Humor pins on Pinterest is always entertaining. These are too wide ranging to summarize, but I think Pinterest is how I initially came across Hyperbole and a Half.






No comments:

Post a Comment